Guess. What number of mountain bike trails do you assume there are inside an hour or so drive from South Bend? Reply: 15. Yep, we’re blessed, thanks largely to volunteers wielding shovels, axes, loppers and bikes.
To have a good time this and to help the volunteer group that constructed 5 of them, there’s a problem so that you can experience all 15 trails — plus the paved path that runs between Mishawaka and Niles — by Sept. 22.
Join at the least a $20 donation at bikereg.com/16trailsummer, and your cash will go to the Northern Indiana Mountain Bike Affiliation. Give at the least $25, and also you’re eligible for the occasion’s T-shirt, touting the NIMBA 16 Path Summer season; to earn it, you’ll must doc that you simply did all 16 trails with images, Strava lists or the like. You can too log your miles by way of a Google document that NIMBA arrange, linked on this column on-line.
NIMBA created a helpful on-line map of all the paths, linked here in the column (the marker for the Mishawaka-to-Niles path merely reveals one in every of its stops, the Jesús Latin Grill in Mishawaka).
Now, let’s see what number of of these trails you realize. Right here they’re: Rum Village Park in South Bend, Potato Creek State Park in North Liberty, Bendix Woods County Park in New Carlisle, Madeline Bertrand County Park in Niles, Bonneyville Mill County Park in Bristol, T.Ok. Lawless County Park in Vandalia, Meyer Broadway Park in Three Rivers, Love Creek County Park in Berrien Middle, the Path at Andrews in Berrien Springs, Chikaming Township Park in Harbert, Mich., Lions Path at Troopers Memorial Park in LaPorte, Bluhm County Park in Westville, Ind., Creek Aspect Path in Valparaiso, Creativeness Glen in Portage, Ind., and the path in Winona Lake, Ind.
Within the broader mountain biking world, the third annual fundraiser Love Biketober Fest, which has benefited each Love Creek trails and the Bike Michiana Coalition, gained’t occur this fall, like so many massive public occasions.
Additionally, the Melting Mann grime race out of Vandalia has additionally been canceled due to COVID-19 after having been postponed from March to September.
Michigan Metropolis path
At about 95% full, the brand new, paved part of the Singing Sands Path in Michigan Metropolis is usually rideable and walkable, based on the Northwest Indiana Planning Fee. However watch out for sure crossings and components that aren’t fairly executed. It passes via downtown and runs parallel to Michigan Avenue/Boulevard, U.S. 12 and the NIPSCO energy plant because it hyperlinks two present trails.
On the western finish, there’s the Calumet Path, a 9-mile gravel path (which regularly has standing water) that follows the South Shore Railroad and connects to different trails within the Indiana Dunes. On the jap finish, there’s the 1.1-mile Path Creek Greenway, which runs by the creek from town’s Hansen Park.
East of that greenway, NIRPC planner Mitch Barloga says, contractors are nonetheless constructing boardwalks and laying asphalt for an additional part of the Singing Sands Path that might result in town’s Memorial Park.
When executed, all three elements will equal 4.2 miles. Ultimately, it will proceed east to New Buffalo as a part of the Marquette Greenway, a path linking that metropolis to Chicago. You’ll discover the Calumet Path head on U.S. 12 a couple of yards west of the railroad tracks on the metropolis’s western edge. To achieve Hansen Park, enter Michigan Metropolis on U.S. 20/Michigan Boulevard and switch proper on Eighth Avenue. For a basic map, go to the Fb web page of Greenways & Blueways of NW Indiana.
Cool and new
• Dunes snapshots: A citizen science venture known as Chronolog invitations you to take a snapshot at 5 stations within the Indiana Dunes Nationwide Park, every geared up with a bracket to place your digital camera, and electronic mail the images. Your snaps will add to a long-term time lapse of ecosystems via the seasons and years, serving to park workers to trace the progress of their efforts to revive habitats. Study extra in a link here in this column on-line. Additionally, link here to see images of Cowles Lavatory, then discover comparable pages for Tolleston Dunes, Miller Woods, West Seaside and Portage Lakefront and Riverwalk by clicking on “Mission” at that web site.
• Chicago trails app: There’s a brand new, free app that can assist you discover paved, grime and mountain biking trails that wind via 62 cities and cities that make up Chicago’s “Southland” area — basically the southwest half of the larger Chicago space, although it reveals trails in downtown and the northwest suburbs, too, and a little bit of northwest Indiana. For every path, it consists of details about the floor, size and parking. It was developed by the Chicago Southland Conference & Guests Bureau and is out there within the App Retailer or Google Play. Or discover the app, the map and extra info in a link here in this column on-line.
• 7 Vista Problem: Brown County State Park in southern Indiana and its buddies group have created a “7 Vista Problem” you could drive or bike on park roads. At every vista, you’ll discover a signal and a body to take a selfie photograph. Do all seven, and also you’ll get a sticker and the rights to purchase a problem T-shirt on the nature heart and the park’s Abe Martin Lodge. The vistas are West Lookout Tower, Hesitation Level, Associates Path Vista, Weedpatch Vista, Nature Middle Vista, Civilian Conservation Corps Vista and Hohen Level Vista. It’s the eighth such problem from the Indiana State Parks. Discover particulars and obtain a brochure with a map at 7vistachallenge.com.
Off you go
Twisted Run: This “motala” fashion of orienteering race will discover off path at St. Patrick’s County Park in South Bend this Saturday, with a briefing at 9:50 a.m. and departure at 10:15 a.m. There are alternatives of 6.6 kilometers and 4.4 kilometers the place you’ll run or stroll two or three loops in diverse order, choosing up the following loop’s map at a central spot. You should register by Friday by way of a link in this column on-line. Price is $20. A second half to this orienteering race will come to the park on Sept. 12, based on native organizer Thurston Miller.
• Espresso Creek hike: Stroll the accessible trails at Espresso Creek Watershed Protect in Chesterton, Ind., at 10 a.m. (CDT) Saturday, then proceed on in order for you on a 3-mile mixture of different trails. This simple hike is hosted by Harbor Nation Hikers. Meet on the amphitheater of the protect, which is on the east aspect of Indiana 49 simply north of the Indiana Toll Street. Face masks are required for this socially distanced occasion.
• Bat brains: Find out about Indiana’s bat species, their conduct and financial impacts from two consultants at 7 p.m. Sept. 3 at St. Patrick’s County Park in South Bend, then take pleasure in a “bat-nana break up” whereas watching bats exit the Purple Barn at nightfall. The consultants are Laura Kloepper, an assistant professor at Saint Mary’s School, and wildlife biologist Jeremy Sheets of Orbis Environmental Consulting. Price is $4 per particular person. Register by Monday at 574-654-3155.
• No swimming at dunes: The Indiana Dunes State Park in Chesterton introduced on Fb that it has prohibited swimming and wading within the Lake Michigan waters of its seashore till Sept. 5, citing a scarcity of lifeguards. However the seashore sand stays open to sunbathing and strolling. As regular, the park stated, when the car parking zone is full, vehicles will likely be admitted solely when different vehicles depart.
• Michigan Metropolis seashore: The seashore at Michigan Metropolis’s Washington Park will stay closed till Sept. 13, per a latest vote by town council, based on the LaPorte County Herald-Dispatch. Mayor Duane Parry had initially closed it in mid-July over considerations of overcrowding.