It was a good looking early September Saturday, so I made a decision to interrupt from my regular strolling routes and take a hike (actually) over to the Harms Woods Bike Trails — a well-liked strolling and biking vacation spot for our Northbrook and Glenview residents.
Making my editor Melynda proud, this new (in time on the job, positively not in years!) protégé determined on the final minute to take alongside a little bit notepad, because you by no means know whenever you would possibly simply occur upon a narrative.
I ought to have introduced alongside an even bigger notepad.
I shortly discovered a calming late summer season stroll on the Harms Wooden Path can really be something however. Particularly on a busy, crowded Saturday the place I discovered the strolling path to be about as hectic, nerve-rattling and harmful as flip No. 4 on the Indy 500.
Do not get me fallacious: It is a fully lovely stroll. However, simply so you recognize, you finest preserve your head on a swivel or you would get run over by myriad transportation units at any specific second.
A couple of observations, now that I’ve regained my sanity and stability.
1. Bicyclists don’t have any worry. Most of them pace by means of the crowded trails at alarming charges, typically with a fast, perfunctory “in your left” to point passing. If you happen to occur to not hear this warning or occur to veer out on the fallacious second, the outcome would doubtless finish on the nearest hospital — perhaps occasion a lead function on the native 5 p.m. information.
Cyclists, I absolutely admire your want for pace and the fantastic really feel of the wind in your face as you go cruising alongside, however perhaps just a bit little bit of warning on behalf of us helpless pedestrians won’t be the worst factor.
2. Whereas we’re on the subject of bicycles, there have been a number of mother and father attempting to show their younger youngsters to trip their bikes. Though the trouble is actually appreciated, my conclusion could be that there are in all probability 100 and one higher locations to show your child to bicycle than on the Harms Wooden Path on a crowded Saturday. Simply saying.
3. This one is for the walkers, bikers and runners. What’s with the earbuds? A gorgeous Saturday, with folks throughout, the birds signing, the wind whistling, and tree branches swirling about and also you’re disappearing from all of it with earbuds and music (or perhaps your favourite podcast)?
I perceive music on an early morning run or on some lonely quiet avenue, simply to kill the boredom. However in an enormous crowd on a good looking Saturday with folks throughout? Would not it’s higher to open your eyes and ears to the environment and take all of it in? Relish within the wonders of nature? Simply saying, half two
4. One of many actual delights of a busy day on the path is you see a veritable hodgepodge of humanity together with people of all ages, sizes, shapes, pores and skin colours, sexes and costume selections. Sort of cool to see this combine all strolling, using and exercising in the identical place.
5) My two favourite sightings? The little infants using shotgun with smiles on their faces, and some tiny canines peeking their heads out from their picnic basket kind provider. Too cute. Bonus factors to the 2 near-centurions I noticed strolling whereas holding arms (perhaps a primary date from on-line relationship web site?)
6) On the subject of costume, it’s apparently something goes for a Saturday stroll on the path. I noticed some really distinctive colour mixtures, beginning with the biking contingent who’ve some really body-displaying daring types to select from. Add in some shorts too brief, some shorts too lengthy, colourful T-shirts and a few actually cool solar protector floppy hats and you’ve got the North Shore clothes version of “something goes.”
Further credit score factors for the couple that had sun shades with a aspect view mirror in-built (love the look), and minus factors for the male species with their shirts off who perhaps should not have.
7) Talking of solar safety, I noticed some true lobster appears on the market. Defend your self, gang, and go together with the SPF 30, nothing stronger. Oh, and positively go spray can over the a lot messier cream.
8) The Harms Woods Bike path goes by means of quite a few suburban communities. As such there are stops alongside the best way at many 4-way gentle intersections. An interruption, little doubt, to the momentum constructed up from cruising bicycles and joggers. This doesn’t, nonetheless, imply stated joggers and cyclists can disregard the site visitors lights, go throughout with out hesitation, and make vehicles dangerously swerve to keep away from you. Speaking to you Golf and Waukegan Highway intersection intruders.
9) These floor pedal autos, you recognize those that look half automobile and half pedaling bicycle are literally type of cool. Noticed a number of of them on the market, and it appeared like enjoyable, however each one of many riders did appear to have that smug “I’ve obtained one and you do not look” as they swished by me.
10) Masks carrying on the path? My very unofficial rely was about 30% with and 70% with out. However it’s outdoors, and folks had been moderately unfold out, so please do not move this on to Dr. Fauci.
11) Attention-grabbing signal noticed on park public services: “Washrooms are restricted entry solely.” Hmm. Restricted to whom? Register upfront? Provided that it’s important to go actually go unhealthy? And who makes the last word judgment?
12) Lastly, deliver a water bottle. Discovering a working consuming fountain as of late is tougher than consuming spaghetti with a spoon. However you already knew that.
I in all probability might have had a number of extra so as to add right here, however, effectively like I stated at first, I ought to have introduced an even bigger notepad.
Regardless of all of the above — and my very own admitted idiosyncrasies — the Harms Woods Bike Path is greater than well worth the journey. What a luxurious to have such a pure magnificence proper below our collective Northbrook and Glenview noses. And are available autumn? When the leaves begin to flip colours? The path walks or rides turns into really spectacular.
Perhaps these rushing bicyclers would possibly even decelerate to have a look round.
• Jon Cohn of Glenview is a coach, retired PE trainer, sports activities official and simply an all-around native sports activities fan. Any matters you’d wish to see him deal with? Electronic mail firstname.lastname@example.org and embrace “Coach’s Nook” within the topic line.