Whereas the Division of Conservation and Recreation work on a longterm plan to enhance the Arborway, some short-term adjustments, together with buffered bike lanes are coming as early as this fall.
“We’re proposing to take away journey lanes in three areas. Earlier than making this
proposal, we rigorously reviewed pre-pandemic site visitors volumes (on which we’ve collected information on a number of events over a few years) for the hall,” wrote Jeffrey Parenti, Deputy Chief Engineer for DCR.
The short-term enhancements may additionally start in spring 2021.
Parenti supplied a listing of short-term enhancements and the meant objectives of the adjustments. The adjustments embrace:
- Including clear lane traces to Murray Circle. New traces in that rotary which has none in any respect
at present, will higher arrange actions approaching and inside it. This can lead to much less
confusion and fewer crashes.
- Directing by site visitors into the “fundamental barrel” between Kelley and Murray Circles. Right this moment, the roadway design, mixed with the road portray, information by site visitors onto the carriage roads at each Murray and Kelley Circles. By rearranging the road portray, the proposed markings will direct by site visitors into the center four-lane part (often known as the “fundamental barrel.”)
- A motorcycle lane proposal alongside the Arborway carriage roads between Kelly Circle and Murray Circle. At the moment, these roadways every have two lanes of site visitors getting into the identical path for a complete of 4 lanes (two lanes going northbound and two lanes going southbound). The company’s proposal would lower the journey lanes for automobiles in every path from two lanes to 1 lane (one car journey lane going northbound and one car journey lane going southbound). (Please see picture beneath)
- A single bike lane close to the Arboretum alongside the Arborway (southbound) in an effort to attach with the present path at Forest Hills. Equally, there are presently two journey lanes going southbound, which might doubtlessly be diminished to 1 car journey lane going southbound. (Please see picture beneath)
- A wider parking lane southbound in entrance of the Arboretum. The prevailing parkway part has no bike facility, and a really slim parking lane forces folks exiting the driving force’s facet to step into site visitors. The proposed parking lane might be a lot wider and features a buffered bike lane. This requires eradicating a lane of journey.
“We discovered that eight lanes within the carriage highway part isn’t needed to hold the quantity of site visitors we counted. Moreover, a single lane southbound might be satisfactory to hold site visitors within the Arboretum part. Additional, these enhancements might be made with paint solely and are adjustable,” wrote Parenti. “lf we discover that queueing
or delays to automobiles considerably will increase, we’ll revisit these adjustments the place applicable.”
A full description of short-term enhancements may be viewed here. The general public remark interval to touch upon the design proposal is Oct. 2, 2020. DCR will assessment public feedback after which determine when to start the short-term enhancements.