Ford breaks floor on electrical F-150 pickup truck plant in Michigan
Ford broke floor on a brand new manufacturing plant outdoors of Dearborn, Michigan, the place it is going to construct an electrical model of its extraordinarily well-liked pickup truck, the F-150. The brand new facility, situated inside the automaker’s historic Rouge Advanced, shall be accomplished in time to start out manufacturing on the brand new electrical truck, slated for mid-2022.
That launch date means the F-150 EV will doubtless hit the street after electrical pickups from quite a few Ford’s rivals. Tesla’s Cybertruck and Normal Motors’ electrical Hummer pickup are slated to be launched in late 2021. EV startup Rivian is aiming to ship its first electric pickup trucks in early 2021 (alongside an electrical SUV) after manufacturing was delayed by COVID-19.
Ford is spending $700 million to construct the Rouge Electrical Automobile Heart, which, along with the electrical F-150, can even host manufacturing for the F-150 Energy Increase hybrid. The automaker says the brand new facility will help 300 new jobs in battery meeting and manufacturing of the F-150 Energy Increase hybrid and absolutely electrical F-150.
Ford additionally launched some new particulars concerning the battery-powered F-150:
- Ford will debut new expertise on the electrical F-150 that enables cell energy era so prospects can use their vehicles as an influence supply for locations from campsites to job websites when wanted;
- The all-electric F-150 will characteristic twin electrical motors focused to ship extra horsepower and torque than any F-150 out there at present, the quickest acceleration, and the flexibility to tow heavy trailers;
- Electrical autos together with the electrical F-150 require considerably much less upkeep than a typical gasoline engine, creating greater than 40 % financial savings for its lifetime whole price of operation;
- A large entrance trunk on the electrical F-150 provides much more cargo-carrying versatility and safety to assist defend and transfer priceless gadgets;
- Like the remainder of the all-new F-150 lineup, the electrical F-150 will constantly enhance over time with quick over-the-air updates.
The Rouge Advanced improve is simply the most recent information on Ford’s effort so as to add extra EVs to its lineup. Like all automakers, Ford is engaged in a pricey undertaking to spice up its high-tech choices, together with EVs, partial and absolutely autonomous autos, connected-car providers, and shared autos like electrical scooters. The corporate has mentioned it is going to spend $11.5 billion to supply over a dozen electrified fashions (which incorporates EVs and hybrids) by 2022.
The electrical and hybrid F-150s are only one piece of Ford’s push into electrical autos. The Mustang Mach-E electrical SUV is being released at the end of this year. Ford has additionally invested greater than $500 million into electrical truck startup Rivian and is working with the corporate on an electrical automobile for Lincoln. (One other undertaking involving the three manufacturers has already been canceled resulting from COVID-19.) Ford has additionally entered right into a partnership with Volkswagen that may see the US automaker use the German giant’s battery tech in an electric car slated for the European market in 2023.
The brand new model of the common gas-powered F-150 can even come brimming with new tech features, together with an non-compulsory hands-free driving mode, over-the-air software program updates, and wi-fi Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Ford has been teasing the electrical F-150 for years. In 2019, the company showed off a video of a prototype model of the truck pulling 10 double-decker prepare automobiles over 1,000 toes.