From mountain climbing to arts, there’s loads to do in Peninsula, Boston Township
Considered one of Ohio’s most scenic small villages, Peninsula’s inhabitants of fewer than 600 residents can swell to a number of thousand individuals on any fair-weather day.
Wrapped within the bucolic Boston Township and the luxurious Cuyahoga Valley Nationwide Park, nature lovers are lured from miles round to lease bikes, go snowboarding, hike trails, experience a prepare or take a break within the quaint assortment of shops and eating places downtown.
The village and township are halfway between Cleveland and Akron, on the Cuyahoga River and straddling state Route 303 in north central Summit County. Border communities are Cuyahoga Falls, Tub Township, Stow, Hudson, Boston Heights, Northfield Middle Township, Sagamore Hills Township and Richfield Township.
The world was as soon as a bustling cease on the Ohio & Erie Canal and the Valley Railroad. Within the mid-Nineteenth century, the township and village have been dwelling to mills, stone quarries, boat yards and 5 lodges.
Right now, the village is one thing of an artists’ colony, with many residents concerned in portray, writing, images, music, instrument-making, dance, drama, jewellery and crafts.
The village and township have greater than 20 buildings on the Nationwide Register of Historic Locations. One notable constructing within the heart of Peninsula is Bronson Memorial Church, a Gothic Revival-style constructing erected in 1835 with the hope of saving the souls of misbehaving canal boatmen.
Boston Township was named for Boston, Massachusetts. Beginning within the Nineteen Seventies, some of us began to unfold rumors of hauntings, serial killers and chemical spills that result in the world being referred to as “Helltown,” although many of the folklore has been confirmed to be fiction.
Please observe: As the world recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic, many companies are altering their hours of operation. Remember that the knowledge reported on this record could change.
• Cuyahoga Valley Nationwide Park, sandwiched between the city landscapes of Akron and Cleveland, is without doubt one of the most visited parks within the nation, luring tens of millions every year to its thick forests, rolling hills, open farmlands and the crooked Cuyahoga River. Picnic on the Virginia Kendall space, hike the favored Ledges path by hanging rock cliffs or begin your exploration on the Boston Mill Customer Middle, 6947 Riverview Highway, open each day 9:30 a.m. to five p.m. www.nps.gov/cuva
• The nationwide park’s Conservancy operates three present outlets within the space, all that includes snacks, T-shirts and souvenirs. Path Combine Peninsula is at 1600 W. Mill St. close to the prepare depot. Boston Retailer is at 1550 Boston Mills Highway. And there’s a retailer tucked into the Boston Mill Customer Middle. The shops are open each day from 9:30 a.m. to five p.m. (although Boston Retailer closes within the offseason.)
• The Grand Military of the Republic Corridor, positioned at Riverview Highway and Foremost Avenue, was a service membership for Civil Conflict vets. The corridor hosts the year-round Voices within the Valley live performance sequence. This summer season, as a result of the corridor is present process some renovation, the music occasions are being held on the inexperienced on the close by Bronson Memorial Church, though the live shows shall be moved into the corridor throughout inclement climate. Advance tickets beneficial. Go to www.peninsulahistory.org for the schedule. Subsequent March, the corridor will return to its in-person Civil Conflict lecture sequence. For now, that sequence is being held on-line. Go to the web site to register.
• Fisher’s Cafe & Pub, 1607 Foremost St., is a third-generation, family-owned eatery based in 1958 on the positioning of a former Mannequin T Ford dealership. Indoor and outside seating is accessible. The restaurant gives all-you-can-eat fish on Friday nights. It is open 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday by Friday; 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday; and eight a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday. www.fisherscafe.com
• Winking Lizard, 1615 Foremost St., opened in 1991 and is a part of a homegrown Northeast Ohio chain. The eatery is understood for its pub meals, wings and Tour of Beers. Indoor and outside seating is accessible. Open each day at 11 a.m., closing at 10 p.m. Sunday by Thursday, and 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday. www.winkinglizard.com
• The Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Path comes by right here, providing insights of nature and loads of train. Runners, hikers and bikes are welcome. There are three out there trailheads: Boston at 1508 Boston Mills Highway, Lock 29 at 1648 Mill St., or the Beaver Marsh at 3801 Riverview Highway.
• Peninsula Artwork Academy, 1600 W. Mill St., is a gallery staffed by native artists. Along with promoting their work, many additionally provide courses from calligraphy to jewellery making. As a result of it’s a cooperative, hours could range, however at present the shop is usually open 11 a.m. to five p.m. Thursday by Sunday. Go to peninsulaartacademy.publishpath.com for a schedule of courses.
• River Gentle Gallery, 1663 Foremost St., is operated by a bunch of artists who wish to promote their work in a “brick and mortar” storefront. Choices embody jewellery, glass, ceramic, work, sculptures and woodwork. The enterprise is staffed by artist volunteers. Open from 11 a.m. to five p.m Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
• Century Cycles, 1621 Foremost St., rents bikes by the hour, together with hybrid consolation bikes, electrical bikes and even snow bikes. Open midday to five p.m. on Sundays, and 10 a.m. to six p.m. the remainder of the week. Go to centurycycles.com and click on on the Peninsula location.
• Pedego Peninsula, at 1593 Foremost St., is a brand new store dealing in Pedego Electrical Bikes. The shop gives leases along with gross sales and elements. The shop is open 10 a.m. to six p.m. Wednesday by Sunday. pedegopeninsula.com
• Deep Lock Quarry is a novel Summit Metroparks property at 5779 Riverview Highway. Discarded millstones and Nineteenth century constructing foundations are scattered alongside the average 1.4-mile path, which leads by the forest and vistas of the Cuyahoga River to the previous quarry web site.
• The Crooked Kettle Popcorn Co., 1595 Foremost St., gives connoisseur popcorn from conventional flavors like caramel and cheddar to Buffalo Breath and Siracha. The storefront is open midday to five p.m. Friday, 11 a.m. to six p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to five p.m. Sunday. Comply with Crooked Kettle Popcorn on Fb for updates in addition to cell occasions: https://www.fb.com/CrookedKettlePopcorn
• Boston Mills and Brandywine are ski areas owned by Vail Resorts. In addition they function the Polar Blast Snow Tubing Park subsequent to Brandywine. They’re closed for the season, however bookmark their web site at www.bmbw.com and examine them out this winter.
Neighborhood Highlight is a brand new weekly function highlighting cities within the Akron-Canton area. Wish to recommend a neighborhood to profile? E-mail email@example.com.
About Peninsula and Boston Township
Based: Peninsula 1818; Boston Township 1806
Inhabitants: Peninsula 554; Boston Township 1,272
College and mascot: Woodridge Native College District, Bulldogs
Web site: www.peninsulahistory.org; www.bostontownship.org