KTM Alphabet Soup Defined (What the Letters Imply in 2021)
With a reputation like KTM, which stands for Kronreif & Trunkenpolz Mattighofen, it’s not shocking that the corporate likes to depend on initials for mannequin naming. It could be straightforward to say the filth bikes have letter mannequin names, whereas the road bikes have conventional names. Nonetheless, as you will note, it’s not fairly that easy. Heck, the Enduro R mannequin isn’t within the Enduro lineup. Plus, particular editions can violate the naming construction, however let’s go away that for an additional day. We’ll do our greatest to clarify the KTM alphabet soup, even when we will’t simplify it.
Though one would anticipate the KTM motocross bikes to have an MX designation, all of them get the sexier SX title, which brings to thoughts supercross.
- SX: That is for the 2-stroke motocross bikes.
- SX-F: Including the F means it’s a 4-stroke motocrosser.
- SX-E: The E addendum tells you that it’s an electrical motocrosser
Should you can grasp the considerably complicated Enduro lettering, you’re nicely in your option to being a KTM skilled.
- EXC-F: The E tells you that it’s an Enduro (avenue authorized) cross-country (XC) bike. The F confirms the 4-stroke motor, although there aren’t any 2-stroke EXC fashions.
- XC: That is for 2-stroke cross-country filth bikes. Although below the enduro lineup umbrella, the XC fashions would not have lighting.
- XC TPI: TPI provides gas injection to the combo.
- XC-W: The W tells you that the XC has a wide-ratio transmission, in addition to lighting.
- XC-F: These are 4-stroke cross-country racers with out lights.
- XCF-W: These are 4-stroke cross-country off-road enduro bikes with a wide-ratio transmission and lighting.
There are solely two supermoto bikes within the KTM lineup proper now, and they’re oddly named.
- SMR: That is the non-street-legal racing designation. Contemplate it to be Supermoto Racing.
- SMC R: We’re unsure what the SMC stands for, because it’s a street-legal mannequin, moderately than a contest bike. The R tells you that it’s dirt-ready, and it’s extra off-road succesful than the slick-tired SMR racer.
Journey is KTM’s title for journey bikes, with one exception—you simply knew that needed to be one.
- Tremendous Journey R: That is the V-twin journey bike, with the R telling you it has an off-road focus.
- Tremendous Journey S: The S tells you that this ADV is street-oriented. You don’t see the S designation anyplace else within the KTM world.
- Journey: That is for the non-V-twin street-oriented journey fashions.
- Journey R: Non-V-twin ADV bike aimed on the filth get this title, with the R because the tipoff.
- Journey R Rally: For the hardest-core off-roading within the ADV world, Rally is added to the R.
- Enduro R: That is an outlier. Whereas it’s named an Enduro, it’s not as dirt-ready because the bikes within the Enduro lineup. On the identical time, it’s extra dirt-capable than the opposite bikes below the Journey designation, so it will get an R. Confused? You have to be.
KTM’s unfaired upright sportbikes begin with Duke, and go on from there.
- Tremendous Duke R: This designation tells you that it’s a big-bore V-twin on the prime of the Duke meals chain. Proper now, there’s no non-R Tremendous Duke.
- Duke: That is the standard-issue bare non-V-twin sportbike.
- Duke R: The R tells you that you just’re getting upgraded efficiency, not that it’s prepared for the filth.
KTM makes use of E-Trip to designate its off-road bikes powered by electrical energy. They’re simply getting began with these names.
- SX-E: That is for the electric-power motocrosser. Proper now, it is just used for a youth mannequin, however anticipate that to vary.
- Freeride E-XC: One other outlier, it makes use of the XC (cross-country) designation, nevertheless it provides the E (electrical energy) earlier than the XC, moderately than after, because the 4-strokes (XC-F) are named. Freeride tells you that it’s a trailbike moderately than a aggressive off-road bike.
There’s just one bike on this class, with the RC title bringing to thoughts the RC16 MotoGP bike
- RC: If it’s a KTM RC, it has a full fairing and clip-ons—track-ready.
So, there you’ve got it. We hope you loved our full serving of the KTM alphabet soup.