Native leaders stated they’re working to unfold consciousness of the brand new rules for bicyclists and motorists that at the moment are in impact due to the passage of Senate Bill 950.
At Thursday’s Palm Beach Transportation Planning Agency board assembly, there was a presentation relating to the brand new legal guidelines and rules which at the moment are in impact.
The brand new regulation:
- Defines the phrases “bicycle lane” and “separated bicycle lane”;
- Gives necessities for a automobile overtaking a bicycle or different nonmotorized automobile, or an electrical bicycle occupying the identical journey lane;
- Requires the Division of Freeway Security and Motor Automobiles (DHSMV) to supply an consciousness marketing campaign relating to autos overtaking a bicycle, different nonmotorized automobile, or an electrical bicycle;
- Gives that no-passing zones don’t apply to drivers who safely and briefly drive to the left of middle of the roadway to overhaul a bicycle, different nonmotorized automobile, or an electrical bicycle;
- Requires a automobile making a proper flip whereas overtaking and passing a bicycle continuing in the identical course, to take action provided that the bicycle is no less than 20 toes from the intersection, and is of such a distance that the motive force of a automobile could safely flip;
- Authorizes bicyclists driving in teams, after coming to a full cease, to undergo an intersection in teams of 10 or fewer;
- Gives riders could trip two abreast if sure circumstances exists; and
- Requires no less than 25 questions within the check financial institution for the motive force license check to handle bicycle and pedestrian security.
The brand new regulation states “an individual who violates this part commits a noncriminal visitors infraction, punishable as a transferring violation as offered in chapter 318.”
Transportation leaders stated at the moment it is unclear what number of bicyclist safety-related questions can be on every driver’s license check or what the questions can be.
Click here to see the Palm Seaside Transportation Planning Company’s report on the brand new regulation.
Native leaders additionally known as for the Palm Seaside Transportation Planning Company to work to lift consciousness concerning the new rules.
“I sometimes trip in a bunch of two, simply me and my husband or as much as about 6 to eight and we’re all the time thoughtful,” stated West Palm Seaside Commissioner Christina Lambert throughout Thursday’s assembly. “However many occasions we’re met with aggressive drivers who don’t want bicyclists on the highway so I feel the extra we are able to do to assist educate to maintain everybody protected, the higher off we can be.”
Palm Seaside County Commissioner Robert Weinroth added, “I feel we all know that lots of the accidents and fatalities will not be simply due to the driving habits of our motoring public however our bicycle riders even have a duty. We must be doing public service bulletins.”
Transportation leaders additionally stated they plan to achieve out to the Palm Seaside County Sheriff’s Workplace to get a greater concept of how these new rules can be enforced.