1) Stephen Hendry is returning to snooker, eight years after retiring. Listed below are some fast career highlights, a maximum break on his final Crucible look, and the person himself on his best-ever shot. Hendry has gained the world title seven instances, his first against Jimmy White in 1990. Pity the Whirlwind, who bumped into peak Hendry three extra instances within the ultimate – together with this nerve-shredding deciding frame in 1994. Title No 7 got here against Mark Williams in 1999, however maybe the very best demonstration of Hendry’s ice-cold genius got here within the 1991 Masters ultimate, when he came from 7-0 and 8-2 down to beat Mike Hallett 9-8. Hallett returned home that night to search out he had been burgled.
2) Lyon are queens of Europe again after seeing off Wolfsburg within the Champions League ultimate. And additional afield, there was late drama in Uruguay as Plaza Colonia scored an own goal from their own half to present Deportivo Maldonado the win. We’re all of the man in blue from the ultimate replay in 2020.
3) The Nations League returns this week, with England taking over Iceland on Saturday – the 2 sides’ first assembly since, well, you know. No person was extra pained than Steve McClaren, watching in the Sky studio. England are additionally enjoying Denmark of their first aggressive recreation since a thumping 2002 World Cup win in Kobe. Again in 1983, the Danes marked the beginning of a golden era by shocking England at Wembley – Allan Simonsen’s penalty serving to them qualify for Euro 84 at England’s expense.
4) Ever puzzled how soccer’s switch window actually works? Discover out with Italian reporter and all-round switch guru, Fabrizio Romano.
5) John Thompson, the legendary Georgetown coach, died this week aged 78. In 1984, Thompson turned the primary black coach to win the NCAA basketball championship when his Hoyas, led by Patrick Ewing, beat Syracuse in the Big East earlier than defeating Hakeem Olajuwon’s Houston in an all-time classic final.
6) The best final lap in MotoGP historical past? Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo go wheel-to-wheel on the 2009 Catalunya Grand Prix.
1) The Bryan brothers have retired from tennis after a glittering doubles profession. Bob and Mike gained 16 grand slams collectively – try their highlight reel.
2) For those who’re discovering the Tour de France for the primary time, or simply need to reminisce, right here’s a compilation of the race’s greatest moments.
3) Crash! Bang! Wallop! It’s the best of Nascar fights.
5) And at last, Socrates struts his stuff at Garforth City.
Spotters’ badges: Craftyinnit, germit, denothemeno, vsbain67, Salsiccia.