There’s a Approach Out of this SUV Mess Version – Streetsblog New York Metropolis
You realize, we don’t have to simply throw up our palms.
America is hooked on ever-larger vehicles and SUVs, which — as any superfan of Polly Trottenberg is aware of — are a public security disaster, liable for greater than their share of dying and destruction.
The federal authorities doesn’t appear enthusiastic about doing a lot about it, however that doesn’t imply Mayor de Blasio can’t lastly rein in these beasts. Our good friend David Zipper at City Lab laid out myriad choices that any municipality can deploy — amongst them charging extra for big-car parking, tying different charges to automobile measurement, banning “bull guards” and downsizing their very own municipal fleets (which is type of the other of what the town is doing, thanks to the NYPD’s SUV jones).
Will the mayor do something? He hasn’t to date, however there’s nonetheless time:
In different information:
- Only the Post performed President Trump’s New York “anarchy” story as actual information fairly than the marketing campaign press launch it was. In the meantime, the Every day Information wooded snarkily (pictured under).
- The Wall Street Journal supplied extra proof that native neighborhoods are getting stronger as a result of individuals aren’t driving as a lot (and never going to places of work, both).
- We discovered extra concerning the man who allegedly precipitated Sunday’s A practice derailment. (NYDN)
- Subway crime is down, however the charge is up as a result of there are so few riders. (NYDN)
- Electrical scooters are on fireplace proper now — and generally not in a great way. (NY Post)
- The Port Authority (clearly) is backing its personal “mistaken means” LaGuardia Air Prepare (amNY), however so did 12 former state and metropolis transportation officers within the final boy’s membership letter to federal authorities (Streetsblog).
- In the future after we talked about the “Fuck Cuomo and de Blasio” mural in Williamsburg, the Brooklyn Paper related it to a mysterious trashing of open road barricades in the exact same neighborhood. Hmmm…
- Behold — a stunning constructing that may by no means get constructed on Roosevelt Island. (NY Post)
- Should you don’t just like the sight of a large mischief of rats, don’t click on on Jake Offenhartz’s Gothamist story a few huge mischief of rats.
- As activists begged final month in these pages, the categorical bus lane has returned close to the Lincoln Tunnel, serving to transit customers. (NJ 101.5)
- Two males had been killed in a large automotive crash in Rockland County on Monday (NY Post), however one was later revealed to be somebody who does loopy stuff when he drives (Hasidic2 via Twitter):
???? ?????? ?”? ????? ???? ?? ???? ???? ???? ???? ????? ??? ?????? pic.twitter.com/u0PlBdeHn1
— Hasidic2 (@hasidic_1) September 21, 2020